Tuesday, October 6, 2009

AK Designs Custom


The product I am going to focus on is a line of custom jumper ear nets (for horses) and the business is real! I started it up in August 2008 and have since sold over 120 ear nets. They are sold in a local tack shop (horse equipment store) that I work at and I also have a website that I created using a free site builder. At the time, I wasn't sure how well sales were going to be so I opted for the free website! www.akdesigns.weebly.com

Since sales have been better than expected, I am going to get a real website with a real domain name. I plan on making the website myself as I do web design, along with making the ear nets. I purchase the ear nets in bulk from overseas and then I order the colored cord trimming from various stores online. I sew all the cord on by hand, and one ear net with two trims takes me about 45 minutes. My current project with the ear nets it to make 35 of them by the end of December! They are going to be Christmas gifts for riders at a farm and their farm colors are hunter, burgundy, and old gold. (See photo above)

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of work! I think it's great that you have your own business and website. I'd never heard of jumper ear nets before now. They look awesome once they're all finished and on the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of jumper ear nets before either, but the ones you make look great. Good luck with your expanding business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is very cool that you are applying what were learning in class to an actual business. I hope that you can continue to grow your business because the ear nets are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with jumper ear nets either. Is this something that you heard about and decided to make your own or are you the original designer? Either way it is a very interesting business and you seem to be doing really well, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a very unique business that can definatly gain success. Once people talk, business will expand and you will do well for yourself. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We missed you in class last week but loved looking at your website! That's so awesome you can make money off of something you love doing. I wish you the best of luck in expanding your business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you're linking your actual small business to what we're doing in class. I think that this could only help you and improve what already seems like a fantastic venture. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your small business! I know when I was riding horses, us barn girls loved stuff like this. Nice work and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to find a niche market! I think you doing a real business is really going to be a great way to put what you're learning in class to practice and profit.

    ReplyDelete